Main Article Content
This paper presents a patient of primary submandibular gland adenocarcinoma later presenting with renal metastasis. Renal cancers are known for its predisposition to unusual metastasis to other organs. On the contrary, renal metastasis from salivary gland tumours are extremely rare with none reported from the submandibular gland to date. Hence the significance of adequate history taking, immunohistochemical identification of pathology and multidisciplinary approach in the management of such rare clinical presentation is discussed here. Metastatic disease should always be a differential when evaluating cancer patients regardless of the interval since previous disease or rarity of occurrence.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright of articles published in all DPG titles is retained by the author(s). The author(s) grants DPG the rights to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher. The author grants DPG exclusive commercial rights to the article. The author grants any party the rights to use the article freely for non-commercial purposes provided that the original work is properly cited.
2. Bedrosian SA, Goldman RL, and Dekelboum AM. Renal carcinoma presenting as a primary submandibular gland tumour. Oral Surg 1984;58:699–701.
3. Sist TC Jr, Marchetta FC, Milley PC: Renal cell carcinoma presenting as primary parotid gland tumour. Oral Surg 1982;53:499–502.
4. Smits JG, Slootweg PJ. Renal cell carcinoma with metastasis to the submandibular and parotid glands. J Maxillofac Surg 1984;12;235–36.
5. Majewska H, Skalova A, Radecka K et al. Renal clear cell carcinoma metastasis to salivary gland – A series of 9 cases: Clinico-pathological study. Pol J Pathol 2016;67(1):39–45.
6. Brown JA and Swanson SK. Bilateral synchronous renal metastases in a patient 13 years status post resection of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary gland. Urology 1998;51(2):1998.
7. Nouraei SA, Ferguson MS, Clarke PM, et al. Metastasizing pleomorphic salivary adenoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006;132:788–93.
8. Koyama M, Terauchi T, Koizumi M, et al. Metastasizing pleomorphic adenoma in the multiple organs: A case report on FDG-PET/CT imaging. Medicine (Baltimore) 2018 Jun;97(23):e11077.