Main Article Content
To critically analyse the efficacy and safety of continuous saline bladder irrigation versus single installation of mitomycin-C (MMC) after transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT) in patients with low to intermediate risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
Materials and Methods
The question in consideration best merits answer by critically reviewing and analyzing the literature and finally to provide the recommendation about the relevance of the conclusions from the literature. A search study identifies the relevant literature from the well-known academic databases in the context of the re-search question. The particular sets of the key words are used in different formats to search the literature. The literature has been thoroughly reviewed and analyzed for the strengths and limitations. Specific data was critically taken for analysis depending upon the type of literature articles with special reference to their usefulness, knowledge, attitudes, transferability, validity/reliability and strength of conclusions.
A total of 6 papers meeting the inclusion criteria, which compared the results of the efficacy and safety between intravesical chemotherapy and continuous saline bladder irrigation (CSBI) were critically analyzed. Conclusion
CSBI cannot replace MMC in terms of its efficacy in the prevention of recurrence and progression but because of the better safety profile can be used as an alternative in patients with low to intermediate risk bladder cancers after TURBT.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright of articles published in all DPG titles is retained by the author(s). The author(s) grants DPG the rights to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher. The author grants DPG exclusive commercial rights to the article. The author grants any party the rights to use the article freely for non-commercial purposes provided that the original work is properly cited.
2. Soloway MS, Masters S. Urothelial susceptibility to tumor cell implantation: influence of cauterization. Cancer, 1980. 46: 1158-63
3. Oosterlinck W, Lobel B, Jakse G et al; European Association of Urology (EAU) Working Group on Oncological Urology. Guidelines on bladder cancer. Eur Urol 2002 Feb;41(2):105–12. Review. PubMed [citation] PMID.
4. Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, Holmang S et al. Systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing a single immediate instillation of chemotherapy after transurethral resection with transurethral resection alone in patients with stage pTa-pT1 urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: which patients benefit from. Eur Urol 2016 Feb;69(2):231–44. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2015.05.050. Epub 2015 Jun 16. Review. PubMed [citation] PMID: 26091833
5. Oddens JR, van der Meijden AP, Sylvester R. One immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy in low risk Ta, T1 bladder cancer patients. Is it always safe? Eur Urol 2004 Sep;46(3):336–8. PubMed [citation] PMID: 15306104.
6. Nieuwenhuijzen JA, Bex A, Horenblas S. Unusual complication after immediate postoperative intravesical mitomycin C instillation. Eur Urol 2003 June;43(6):711–2. PubMed [citation] PMID: 12767376.
7. Doherty AP, Trendell-Smith N, Stirling R et al. Perivesical fat necrosis after adjuvant intravesical chemotherapy. BJU Int. 1999 Mar;83(4):420–3. PubMed [citation] PMID: 10210564.
8. Jones G, Cleves A, Wilt TJ, Mason M et al. Intravesical gemcitabine for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Jan 18;1:CD009294. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009294.pub2. Review. PubMed [citation] PMID: 22259002.
9. Hendricksen K, Cornel EB, de Reijke TM. Phase 2 study of adjuvant intravesical instillations of apaziquone for high risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. J Urol 2012 Apr;187(4):1195–9. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2011.11.101. Epub 2012 Feb 14. PubMed [citation] PMID: 2233586.
10. Fechner G, Pocha K, Schmidt D, Müller SC. Reducing recurrence and costs in superficial bladder cancer: preclinical evaluation of osmotic cytolysis by distilled water vs. mitomycin. Int J Clin Pract 2006 Oct;60(10):1178-80. PubMed[citation] PMID: 16669821.
11. Whelan P, Griffiths G, Stower M, et al. Preliminary results of an MRC randomized controlled trial of postoperative irrigation of superficial bladder cancer. Br J Cancer 2001;85:1.
12. Cookson MS, Chang SS, Oefelein MG et al. National practice patterns for immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy in non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. J Urol 2012 May;187(5):1571–6. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2011.12.056. Epub 2012 Mar 14. PubMed [citation] PMID: 22425105.
13. Palou-Redorta J, Rouprêt M, et al. The use of immediate postoperative instillations of intravesical chemotherapy after TURBT of NMIBC among European countries. World J Urol 2014 Apr;32(2):525–30. doi:10.1007/s00345-013-1142-z. Epub 2013 Aug 2. PubMed [citation] PMID: 23907663
14. Onishi T, Sugino Y, Shibahara T et al. Randomized controlled study of the efficacy and safety of continuous saline bladder irrigation after transurethral resection for the treatment of non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. BJU Int 2017 Feb;119(2):276–82. doi: 10.1111/bju.13599. Epub2016 Aug 18. PubMed [citation] PMID: 27444991.
15. Onishi T, Sekito S, Shibahara T, Uchida K, Sasaki T. The role of continuous saline bladder irrigation after transurethral resection in patients with high-grade non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Scand J Urol 2019 Jan 10:1–4. doi: 10.1080/21681805.2018.1548502. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30628540.
16. Lenis AT, Asanad K, Blaibel, et al. Continuous saline bladder irrigation for two hours following transurethral resection of bladder tumors in patients with non-muscle invasive bladder cancer does not prevent recurrence or progression compared with intravesical Mitomycin-C. BMC Urol 2018 Oct 24;18(1):93. doi: 10.1186/s12894-018-0408-6. PubMed [citation] PMID: 30355350,PMCID: PMC6201555.
17. Do J, Lee SW, Jeh SU, et al. Overnight continuous saline irrigation after transurethral resection for non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer is helpful in prevention of early recurrence. Can Urol Assoc J 2018 Nov;12(11):E480–E483. doi: 10.5489/cuaj.5122. Epub 2018 Jun 8. PubMed [citation] PMID: 29989883, PMCID: PMC6217954.
18. Zhou Z, Zhao S, Lu Y, Wu J, Li Y, et al. Meta-analysis of efficacy and safety of continuous saline bladder irrigation compared with intravesical chemotherapy after transurethral resection of bladder tumors. World J Urol 2019 Jan 5. doi: 10.1007/s00345-019-02628-7. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PubMed [citation] PMID: 30612154.
19. Bijalwan P, Pooleri GK, Thomas A. Comparison of sterile water irrigation versus intravesical mitomycin C in preventing recurrence of nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer after transurethral resection. Indian J Urol 2017 Apr-Jun;33(2):144–48. doi: 10.4103/iju.IJU_371_16. PubMed [citation] PMID: 28469303, PMCID: PMC5396403.
20. Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, van der Meijden AP. A single immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy decreases the risk of recurrence in patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer: a meta-analysis of published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol 2004 Jun;171(6 Pt 1):2186–90, quiz 2435. PubMed [citation] PMID: 15126782.
21. Sylvester RJ, van der Meijden AP, Oosterlinck W, et al. Predicting recurrence and progression in individual patientswith stage Ta T1 bladder cancer using EORTC risk tables: a combined analysis of 2596 patients from seven EORTC trials. Eur Urol 2006 Mar;49(3):466–5; discussion 475–7. Epub 2006 Jan 17. PubMed [citation] PMID: 16442208.
22. Furuse H, Ozono S. Transurethral resection of the bladder tumour (TURBT) for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: basic skills. Int J Urol 2010 Aug;17(8):698–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-2042.2010.02556.x. PubMed [citation] PMID:20649827
23. Brausi M, Witjes JA, Lamm D, Persad R, et al. A review of current guidelines and best practice recommendations for the management of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer by the International Bladder Cancer Group. J Urol 2011 Dec;186(6):2158–67. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2011.07.076. Epub 2011 Oct 19. Review. PubMed [citation] PMID: 22014799.
24. Abern MR, Owusu RA, Anderson MR et al. Perioperative intravesical chemotherapy in non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2013 Apr 1;11(4):477–84. Review. PubMed [citation] PMID: 23584348.