Main Article Content
Adult Ureteroceles are uncommon, majority of which are asymptomatic and commonly found incidentally. Surgical deroofing is indicated in patients with bothersome symptoms or complications secondary to ureteroceles. Several deroofing techniques has been described in the literature including nephroscopic scissors, collin's knife, and use of lasers in the last two decades became popular. Herein we report a case and demonstare our technique of using Holmium laser to treat an adult with symptomatic obstructive unilateral ureterocele.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Copyright of articles published in all DPG titles is retained by the author(s). The author(s) grants DPG the rights to publish the article and identify itself as the original publisher. The author grants DPG exclusive commercial rights to the article. The author grants any party the rights to use the article freely for non-commercial purposes provided that the original work is properly cited.
1. Uson AC, Lattimer JK, Melicow MM. Ureteroceles in infants and children: a report based on 44 cases. Pediatrics 1961; 27: 971–7.
2. Rickwood AMK, Reiner I, Jones M, Pournaras C. Current management of duplex‐system ureteroceles: experience with 41 patients. Br J Urol 1992; 70: 196–200.
3. Rompré-Brodeur A, Andonian S. Adult Bilateral Ureteroceles Presenting with Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Acute Urinary Retention. Case Rep Urol. 2018;2018:3186060
4. Tirman PA, Dyer RB. The cobra head sign. Abdom Imaging. 2015 Mar;40(3):609-10.
5. Xiang H, Han J, Ridley WE, Ridley LJ. Cobra head sign: Ureterocele. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2018 Oct;62 Suppl 1:67.
6. Chavhan GB. The cobra head sign. Radiology. 2002 Dec;225(3):781-2.
7. Marr L, Skoog SJ. Laser incision of ureterocele in the pediatric patient. J Urol 2002;167:280–282.
8. Jankowski JT, Palmer JS. Holmium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser puncture of ureteroceles in neonatal period. Urology 2006;68: 179–181.
9. Gholdoian CG, Thayer K, Hald D, Rajpoot D, Shanberg AM. Applications of the KTP laser in the treatment of posterior urethral valves, ureteroceles, and urethral strictures in the pediatric patient. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 1998 Feb;16(1):39-43.
10. Ninomiya S, Kawahara T, Mochizuki T, Yao M, Teranishi JI, Uemura H. The half-loop transurethral incision technique for bilateral ureterocele in adult. Urol Case Rep. 2018;18:6-8. Published 2018 Mar 21. doi:10.1016/j.eucr.2018.02.017
11. Gupta NP, Ansari MS, Singh I. Int Urol Nephrol. Laser endoscopic incision: a viable alternative to treat adult ureterocele. 2001;33(2):325-8.
12. Liu C, Chen W, Xie C, et al. Efficacy and safety of transurethral photoselective Greenlight(™) laser vaporization for the treatment of orthotopic ureteroceles in adults. Photomedicine and Laser Surgery. 2015;33(6):326–329.
13. Shah HN, Sodha H, Khandkar AA, et al. Endoscopic management of adult orthotopic ureterocele and associated calculi with holmium laser: experience with 16 patients over 4 years and review of literature. J Endourol. 2008;3:489-496