Main Article Content
kidney, nephrolithiasis, renal colic, medullary sponge kidney
A 40-year-old female with an allergy to medium contrast, presented with bilateral loin pain and renal colic type radiation. Image study with non-contrast computerized tomography and magnetic resonance imaging revealed multiple nephrolithiasis and a complex cyst at lower pole of the right kidney and no findings in the left one. The patient was treated with laser lithotripsy by flexible ureterorenoscopy revealing multiple lithiasis within cystic dilatations of the urothelium. The complex cyst was submitted to partial nephrectomy. Finally, biopsy demonstrated that it was renal parenchyma with polycystic changes in the external corticomedullary area. All findings were compatible with unilateral medullary sponge kidney diagnosis.
2. Fabris A, Anglani F, Lupo A, Gambaro G. Medullary sponge kidney: state of the art. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2013 May;28(5):1111–9.
3. Gambaro G, Danza FM, Fabris A. Medullary sponge kidney. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2013 Jul;22(4):421–6.
4. Castagna TL, Michael K. Medullary sponge kidney: An imaging study. J Diagnost Med Sonog 2005 May;21(3):247–52.
5. Maw AM, Megibow AJ, Grasso M, Goldfarb DS. Diagnosis of medullary sponge kidney by computed tomographic urography. Am J Kidney Dis 2007 Jul;50(1):146–50.
6. Franco Á, Tomás M, Alonso-Burgos A. Intravenous urography is dead. Long live computerized tomography! Actas Urológicas Españolas (English Edition). 2010 Jan 1;34(9):764–74.
7. Ginalski JM, Schnyder P, Portmann L, Jaeger P. Medullary sponge kidney on axial computed tomography: comparison with excretory urography. Eur J Radiol 1991 Apr;12(2):104–7.
8. Evan AP, Worcester EM, Williams JC, Sommer AJ, Lingeman JE, Phillips CL, et al. Biopsy proven medullary sponge kidney: clinical findings, histopathology, and role of osteogenesis in stone and plaque formation. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 2015 May;298(5):865–77.
9. Fabris A, Lupo A, Bernich P, Abaterusso C, Marchionna N, Nouvenne A, et al. Long-term treatment with potassium citrate and renal stones in medullary sponge kidney. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010 Sep;5(9):1663–8.
10. Xu G, Wen J, Wang B, Li Z, Du C. The clinical efficacy and safety of ureteroscopic laser papillotomy to treat intraductal papillary calculi associated with medullary sponge kidney. Urology 2015 Sep;86(3):472–6.